Monday, April 21, 2014

100 Years Ago - The Ludlow Massacre

One hundred years ago, on April 20, 1914, the National Guard opened fire with machine guns on an encampment of striking miners and their families. Two dozen, mostly women and children, were murdered in southern Colorado by an alliance of business and government attempting to union bust. This came to be known as the Ludlow Massacre - a piece of history of union organizing. My grandfather was there with his family, including my 3 year old dad. They all survived. He quit mining, the only work he'd known since the age of 6 - and became the cemetery gravedigger - still digging in the earth, but for a much more hospitable employer: the deceased.

Thankfully, this is some of the survivor stock I come from. Big gratitude for those tough survivor genes - and gratitude for all those who have sacrificed for all of our basic human rights in the workplace.


 http://zinnedproject.org/materials/ludlow-massacre/

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you shared this.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for listening, Maybird. Man, those were some tough people back then. If you watch the video, those are actual scenes - including the long funeral parade of caskets going to the Catholic church in Trinidad, Co. I look into those faces looking for a familiar one. It's very eerie.

    And here we are 100 yrs later, many younger people having no idea the struggles unions have survived - or of their value as business and government continue to erode the unions - especially here in Michigan - going after the teachers among others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear El Poquito
    I've been in your LiveStrong graduate classes on and off for the past few years and just started reading your blog. How I admire your poetry and world view! I too started a blog when I was under treatment for cancer.
    I will enjoy reading yours further.
    Best wishes,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sue, Thanks for dropping by and leaving a note. Always nice to know when someone has dropped by. I took a quick peek over at your blog --- and just want to say 1) nice photography and 2) what a great looking family you have there! Next time we cross paths at the gym say, "hey!" so I can connect all the dots in my head: name to pic to person. Nice to meet you here in "blogworld", too. Your travels are inspiring me. You use that Livin' Strong well! - all the best ~ e

    ReplyDelete