Thursday, July 26, 2012

Standing Strong

I remember like yesterday that initial sharpening of my vision six years ago when my doc spoke the word "remission," and also my wanting to use my added time well, the "gravy years" as I’ve called them as I tried to live them to the best of my ability. Second time around with a second remission, I didn't know it would be all the more magnified. Nobody told me that would happen. I could never imagine it. I've never really been here before.

Life being full of surprises, it’s important to remember many of them are good ones, but sometimes you have to get past some pretty bad ones before you can find the good ones further down the road. Never knowing what lies beyond the next bend, all that's required of me is to try to make the best out of this ride today and whatever it brings my way, i.e: Show up! Show up to the challenges I have to [and get to] labor with, along with the rewards of joining everyone here for one more spin on this blue-green planet another day.

My story is a common story. One could say it’s unfortunately a more and more common story, but with that, so is the good and fortunate story of survival and re-mission.  It takes some luck, but as a good friend reminds me: 

“I'm a great believer in luck -- and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." 

On that note, here's a song about working hard, standing strong, and becoming a worthy opponent to the challenges in the Ring. 



2 comments:

  1. Lots of luck to you! And you do work hard!

    Gonna take my bike out, take my bike.
    Gonna ride real slow, gonna ride just how I like...

    Luck, Work, Gravy Magnified...

    Here comes the fighter!
    xoxo- you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. One year and three months after I posted this... Whew! The injured leg made me fight hard. Still here. Still standing. Still reminding myself every day: "Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better."

    Sometimes you just have to adjust your definition of "better" and fight harder for the "well-lived life."

    With arrow aimed: "Ready. Aim. Release!"

    ReplyDelete